I’m a queer writer of Young Adult, literary/upmarket fiction, and essays. I’m also the Creative Nonfiction editor at Atlas & Alice. My writing has appeared in Condé Nast Traveler, AFAR, Fodor’s, Longreads and Eater, and elsewhere. I have a BA in English from Vassar College and MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College, and I live in the Hudson Valley.
A queer writer based in the Hudson Valley, New York, Lindsey Danis received a BA in English from Vassar College and an MFA in Fiction from Emerson College. Lindsey writes about food, travel, LGBTQ topics and also serves as the Creative Nonfiction editor at Atlas & Alice.
Lindsey’s reported work and essays have appeared in Condé Nast Traveler, AFAR, Fodor’s, Vittles, Restaurant Startup & Growth, Longreads and Eater, and received a notable mention in Best American Travel Writing. Forthcoming publications include an essay on rural queer community-building in Riding Fences: Essays on Being LGBTQ+ in Rural Areas (Alternating Currents Press, forthcoming), on essay on the lingering impact of an unsolved true crime for queer outdoor travel in The Best New True Crime Stories: Unsolved Crimes and Mysteries (Mango Press, 2022) and and queer potlucks as a space of capitalist critique and collective action for Nourishing Resistance: Stories of Food, Protest, and Mutual Aid (PM Press, 2023).
Lindsey’s writing centers LGBTQ voices, with a focus on fostering resilience and celebrating queer joy. She is currently working on a novel and a collection of essays about queer travel and the search for home.
Lindsey has received fellowships and support from Stone Soup Community Press, Alderworks Alaska, Limnisa, Murphy Writing, the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing at Arizona State University, Sundress Academy for the Arts.
When Lindsey isn’t writing, you’ll find her cooking, hiking, kayaking, or traveling.
For all inquiries, please use this contact form. To see what I’ve written, check out my creative writing or journalism clips. I’ve also got reading recommendations via Bookshop lists, or you can subscribe to my newsletter for practical writing advice.
Some selected accolades
- Finalist, Elizabeth Alexander Creative Writing Award, 2022
- Longlisted, Invisible City’s CNF Flash Contest, 2022
- Queer Kidlit Mentee, 2022
- Finalist, RevPit and WriteMentor, 2022
- Notable mention, Best American Travel Writing, 2019
- Longlisted, WriteMentor Children’s Novel Award
- Winner, Limnisa Short Story Competition, 2019
- Finalist, Forge Flash Competition
- Individual Artist Commission from the Decentralization Program, a regrant program of the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature and administered by Arts Mid-Hudson–“Queer Homesteading in the Hudson Valley”
Speaking Events + Podcasts:
- Speaker, “The Best New True Crime Stories: Unsolved Crimes & Mysteries” virtual book launch panel, 2022
- Writing Workshop, “More Than Setting: How Place Brings Meaning to Our Work,” co-presented by Phoenix College and ASU’s Piper Center for Creative Writing, 2022
- Speaker, “Strategies to Revitalize your Business” panel discussion, Building Resilience: A Virtual Conference for Women in Business, hosted by Mid-Hudson Small Business Development Center (SBDC), 2022
- Manuscript Academy podcast guest, “Your Ideal, Supportive Writing Group: How 20+ Writers Found & Maintain It, And You Can Too,” 2022
- Micro podcast guest, “Rowe x Petter x Danis” – Hear me read my flash CNF “The Way a Person Does One Thing is the Way They Do Everything: Eggs,” 2021