I’m a queer writer of Young Adult, literary/upmarket fiction, and essays. I’m also the Creative Nonfiction editor at Atlas & Alice. My writing has appeared in Condé Nast Traveler, AFAR, Fodor’s, Longreads and Eater, and elsewhere. I have a BA in English from Vassar College and MFA in Creative Writing from Emerson College, and I live in the Hudson Valley.
A queer writer based in the Hudson Valley, New York, Lindsey Danis received a BA in English from Vassar College and an MFA in Fiction from Emerson College. Lindsey writes about food, travel, LGBTQ topics and also serves as the Creative Nonfiction editor at Atlas & Alice.
Lindsey’s reported work and essays have appeared in Condé Nast Traveler, AFAR, Fodor’s, Vittles, Restaurant Startup & Growth, Longreads and Eater, and received a notable mention in Best American Travel Writing. Forthcoming publications include an essay on rural queer community-building in Riding Fences: Essays on Being LGBTQ+ in Rural Areas (Alternating Currents Press) and queer potlucks as a space of capitalist critique and collective action for a PM Press anthology on anti-capitalist and anti-authoritarian foodways.
Lindsey’s writing centers LGBTQ voices, with a focus on fostering resilience and celebrating queer joy. She is currently working on a novel and a collection of essays about queer travel and the search for home.
Lindsey has received fellowships and support from Stone Soup Community Press, Alderworks Alaska, Limnisa, Murphy Writing, the Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing at Arizona State University, Sundress Academy for the Arts.
When Lindsey isn’t writing, you’ll find her cooking, hiking, kayaking, or traveling.
For all inquiries, please use this contact form. To see what I’ve written, check out my creative writing or journalism clips. I’ve also got reading recommendations via Bookshop lists, or you can subscribe to my newsletter for practical writing advice.
Some selected accolades
- Notable mention, Best American Travel Writing
- Longlisted, Alpine Fellowship Writing Prize
- Longlisted, WriteMentor Children’s Novel Award
- Winner, Limnisa Short Story Competition
- Finalist, Forge Flash Competition
- Writer in Residence, Alderworks Alaska
- Writer in Residence, Sundress Academy for the Arts
- Individual Artist Commission from the Decentralization Program, a regrant program of the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature and administered by Arts Mid-Hudson–“Queer Homesteading in the Hudson Valley”